Hi :)
I have often heard grumbles about the insanity of Ubuntu's package maintainers
but they have never got close to troubling me before.  Still haven't really but
i hope it doesn't create problems for other people.

I did a clean fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a few different machines and
found LO was the default odf reader/writer.  The default desktop environment
only has about 6 or 8 things on it's equivalent of the "taskbar" and about 4 of
them are LibreOffice things.  Reaching anything else is a little trickier as
menus seem to be old fashioned nowadays.

I've not tried an upgrade from 10.04 LTS or at least not noticed the results
being problematic