No, the ODB is on a local NTFS volume

The problem with the ODBC version is that Base can't download the table
structure from the server for some reason. The JDBC version can but can't
r/w. Which all suggests to me some dodgy MySQL connectors

To check that I set up another MySQL server elsewhere and had exactly the
same problem with the JDBC connector.

I suppose I could set up a local MySQL server but I don't want it local!
And I suspect I might hit the same problem anyway.....

Very frustrating!