On 04-11-12 13:21, James Knott wrote:
Mas wrote:
I believe someone else mention this on the
thread, its not new and unix/linux has been using it.

Yes, there was a 64 bit version of Linux running on the DEC Alpha,
followed shortly by the IBM PowerPC around 1994 - 1995.

The 64-bit R4000 by MIPS technologies came out in 1992 and was first used in Silicon Graphics machines, running IRIX the SGI flavour of UNIX. This processor was 64-bit internally but 32-bit externally so only a 32-bit wide memory-path could be used.Later versions, notably the R8000 (1994) and the R1000 (1996) were 64-bit internally and externally. In 1994 SGI licensed the memory architecture, developed by Cray (which it bought a few years later) and licensed it, I thought in 2002 to AMD for its 64-bit processors. This NUMA architecture is much faster than the standard architecture used in other processors and is much more suitable for multiprocessor systems.
Joep