On 2012-11-08 00:57, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)

When i save a file onto my company's network and then reopen it (still in
Ubuntu) it all works fine.  When my boss opens the file in Windows an
error-message pops-up saying that he can only open a copy or in Read-Only mode.
 It's closed on my machine but his one claims it's still open.  Then my boss
changes the name, edits the document, saves and closes.  Then when i open the
new version of the document it tells me i can only open in Read Only (or a
copy)!

It does have a slight advantage in that it forces my boss to effectively make
backups and i am gradually encouraging a standard versioning system other than
filename-draft.doc
filename-final.doc
filename-FINAL.doc
filename-revised.doc
filename-final.doc
in roughly random order and sometimes without the filename part so folders end up full of
documents that could be about anything.  Draft does not always come first and may even be
the final and revised might be a revised draft or just be a draft.  Hence frequent shouts
of "so which one am i supposed to open?".  It's slow going but at least we seem
to make occasional steps forwards.

So, i am not sure i really want to fix the problem but it's one of the excuses
some of my colleagues use to revert to inferior products instead of going with
LO.

Hi.
Are lock files left behind in the folder with the files you edit. I noticed yesterday that after working on a file on the server the lock file remained after I closed the file I was editing. .~lock.shearBeamDescription.odt#
Steve