Hi Brian,
Thank you so much, your solution works a treat.

My spreadsheet consists of 15 pages each year, so my next question is:-
would it be possible to put the new year on page 1 named "cover" in cell A2
and then change the "&A1-1&" to reference this on for each instance on every
page?
Hope this is clear.
Thanks for any help
Paul