Hi:)
I think just working through the "Getting Started" guide helps hugely.  Pay
special attention to the Styles chapter.
wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

I had to help someone tidy up a Word document yday and it was a total Pita.
Fortunately they are very unfamiliar with MS-anything so;
1.  They didn't do so many of the weirdnesses that people learn to use to
really stuff-up their documents and make them unreadable to everyone that isn't
using their system
2.  There is some hope of  pushing them straight into using LO