On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:38:08 +0100, Tom Davies <tomdavie...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi :)
Hmmm, if that happened you could just reinstall the older version over the newer one again. Ahhh, the advantages of Freee Software being free! :) This approach ensures whichever version you reinstall picks-up all your settings without forcing you "back to factory defaults".

As the older version was also a msi package, it would probably not work neither.

However, I've managed to solve the problem - sort of.
There is a hidden administrator account in Win8 that can be unlocked/visible. When signed in as adminstrator (now with English language) those msi packages installed just fine. Although I haven't yet found that other program that I installed again. No links to it from my regular account (which is supposed to have all the administrator privileges too).
As LO was already installed, the new versions inherits its links.

Another approach (which you might prefer) would be to install the newer version alongside the one that still works
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel