Hi :)
Side-by-side is fairly easy on Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04.  Not sure about others
but it's got to have originated somewhere and is probably on the cards
elsewhere.  Not sure about synchronised scrolling though, that part sounds like
a good item for a feature-request / bug-report.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Report

So, in Ubuntu 12.04 and Win7 just grab the first document's window and drag it
to the far left as though you are dragging it off-screen.  When a weird shadow
fills half the screen let go.  Whatever size and shape the windo had been it
now fills half the screen.  Do the same to the 2nd document's window but drag
it to the right.  Errr i choose left first just because it feels more
comfortable to me.  If you try to drag it off the top of the screen then the
window tries to maximise.

Of course you could use Alt Tab to flick between any windows on the workspace
you are on and that can be a good way to compare quickly.

Most Gnu&Linux distros also let you flick between different work-spaces quickly
so changes jump out at you that way too.  Windows users probably aren't
familiar with the spinning cube (which i can never get to work).  Of course
Ubuntu kinda lost that quick flick between workspaces in 11.04 using Unity
(unless i'm missing a key-combo (which is highly likely))