By right clicking on the word (When it has the red line under it and spell
check on) I choose <add> to add it to the dictionary, but it does NOT add
it. I was hoping there was a setting I have missed to fix this or a way to
add a custom dictionary that works.

I am using

OS Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit
LibraOffice Version 3.6.4.3 (Build ID: 2ef5aff)