Hi :)
It's a classic "reinventing the wheel".  Customised "LiveCds" have the same
functionality except the reinvention appears to have stripped out anything
useful and then put back only 1 or 2 things you might need.

Almost every distro nowadays has a "LiveCd" session that you can run either
from a special Cd/Dvd or from the installer Cd/Dvd.  Typically a LiveCd (or
Dvd) has a full range of useful programs rather than just 1 or 2.

The bit at the end of the article made me laugh.  LiveCds are not noted for
their speed.  Cd/Dvd drives typically run about 1,000 times slower than a
hard-drive.  Typically they mitigate against that by loading as much as
possible into Ram, assuming the machine has enough Ram.  Some distros are so
stripped down that they can entirely run from Ram and after booting the LiveCd
you can take the Cd out.  That's one reason i like SliTaz (a French distro) and
Trinity Rescue Kit (although that is 'just' for repairing broken Windows and
stuff (actually it does some other pretty cool things such as backups and
networking things and stuff))

LiveUsbs are MUCH faster and they are easier if you want to have a "persistent
image" that remembers settings and configurations from one session to the next.
 Of course using the persistent image slightly decreases the security aspect
because it can remember stuff.