On 01/10/2013 12:45 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
On 01/10/2013 11:37 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)

Does anyone use or know of good portable/mobile printers to carry with you when you have to work-on-the-move? I have already asked at LinuxQuestions but many of my company's outreach workers use Windows. Anyway, here's the LQ thread ...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/mobile-printers-4175444990/

We are hoping to prepare a funding application detailing how much it would cost to provide 1 outreach workers with a tablet and a printer and then we can show how much we need for all of them or how many we could "make do with". Obviously it takes a long time for funders to respond and even if successful the money takes even longer to arrive so i'm not looking for cheapest one-off deals. I'm looking for reasonably reliable models and manufacturers and then i can look-up how much they cost.

I've had a lot of questions about printers generally this year and they always seem to be a pita to look after. So, on LQ i am hoping to start a poll to find which manufacturer people prefer. Unfortunately i can only think of a very few; Hewlett Packard, Cannon, Brother, Oki and Ricoh. I feel like i am missing some very obvious ones. If you can think of any please can you let me know in this thread or at LQ http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/how-to-set-up-a-poll-here-at-lq-to-see-which-printer-company-people-prefer-4175445008/

Any suggestions?

I guess the obvious question is what type ( and size - no. of pages) of documents will users print? This will influence what options are reasonable. Another issue is are they stationary when they are working such as at a client's office all day(s) or they constantly moving during the day - my concern is weight and size. For the former you might get by with a small, cheap inkjet printer readily available at Walmart in the US. For the latter, I do not have any good ideas particularly if it must be battery powered.

Option two is to create and email a pdf document.

I went to Amazon.com and entered mobile printer. There were a lot of hits, with many not mobile printers. There were some at about $200, but the good ones were around $500 +/-. Some of them included batteries or you could get battery packs for them. I read one that had a car 12 volt lighter plugin option.

Yes, the key is what you want to use it for. The second it the price you can pay.

For me the third is the price for the ink. I always check the ink costs for OEM and non-OEM cartridges, and printer drivers for Linux [DEBs]. I could get a good price on the printer but the ink could be very high, or you cannot get the needed OS drivers. I just ordered a Canon printer to replace my Epson [ink pads are at "end of life" and cost too much to get the replaced]. The USA and Canadian sites did not have Linux drivers, but the UK, AU, and Asian [English pages] sites did. The OEM ink for a full 2 sets would be around $150 to $180, while an non-OEM ink vendor would charge about $30 +/- for the same number of ink cartridges.

So if you are looking for a mobile printer, or any one, you should do a lot of looking at models for specifications you want/need, ink pricing, and needed drivers and other software it has.

For me, the prices of the truly mobile printers are way beyond what I can play. For a professional sales or marketing individual, they may need to pay the price so they can print off the needed paperwork to be signed by their new clients.

For printer names - Kodak and Epson are not listed. They may have "mobile" printer lines that might work. How "mobile" is needed? Batteries or wall plug. Work in car, in a spare office, or client's office? How many pages [auto duplex needed?] needed to be printed out. The weight of the printer and its physical size. Laptop or tablet/smartphone printing capabilities [yes you can print from iPads and some tablets now]