Hi :)
With the emphasis being on "Write" rather than just recording.  Recording
macros apparently tends to end up with mad spaghetti that is impossible to
correct when it goes wonky.  However it is an imperfect world so recording
might be unavoidable, given time constraints.

If you do have time to learn how to write good macros properly then apparently
Andrew Pitonyak's guide is an invaluable resource and well worth the money.
It's the bottom link on our unofficial/third party guides page;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Other_Documentation_and_Resources#Programmers