You're right, of course. We started talking about keys, but then
somewhere the word 'button' started getting used to refer to keys.
However Tom's reference to the 'Edit File' button to toggle between
'read only' and 'edit' was correct usage--though it may have put
'button' rather than 'key' into our heads.