I think the (incorrect) definition that is being used is whether LO
manipulates files directly or talks to a database engine.

I don't think there is a dBase or FoxBase engine.  I'm pretty sure
there is a Visual FoxPro engine (John doesn't mention VFP, whyzatt
then? ;) ), however it'll be a Windoze only thing I expect.

So, to answer the original question, LO is calling dBase files flat
because it can't access a database engine for them and it won't do
any engine work itself.

A flat database?  Errr, can't think of one, although I know there
have been such things.

You only had to ask ;)

Regards
Mark Stanton