Hi Tom,
My experience with the embedded database in Base has convinced me to move
to an external back-end. I have had several instances of data loss
particularly during sessions of heavy data input.
While I'm in the process of moving my database to an external  H2 database,
I still use the embedded database carefully, however. I backup the embedded
database before adding data, sparingly or working with the Report Writer.
Both of these activitie have resulted in data loss in the past. I still
like Base as a front end, however.
Hank