Hi :)
I think if you open an Excel spreadsheet that is supposedly "protected" in Calc
then you bypass all the password protections and stuff.

My company's (well the place where i work, it's not really mine as such)
finance lady was somewhat horrified when i was easily able to fix a problem for
her despite having no idea what the password was.  I hadn't even realised the
spreadsheet was supposedly protected!
Regards from
Tom:)