At 17:52 18/07/2013 -0500, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
I was reading the SYLK entry in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_%28SYLK%29 ...

I know nothing about this - but did you notice in the Wikipedia article "*Variants of* the format are supported by [...] OpenOffice.org, ..." (my emphasis)?

and came across the following short SYLK file content:

ID;P
C;Y1;X1;K"Row 1"
C;Y2;X1;K"Row 2"
C;Y3;X1;K"Total"
C;Y1;X2;K11
C;Y2;X2;K22
C;Y3;X2;K0;ER1C2+R2C2

which I copied and pasted into a UTF-8 text file with newline line endings named "test.slk". I loaded test.slk into two builds of LibreOffice Calc: ... . I expected to get what the Wikipedia page described -- a table with two columns, three rows, and one sum:

Row 1|11
Row 2|22
Total|33

but instead I get ...

[...]
Total|0

Also, when I focus the cell in column 2 row 3 in both versions of Calc listed above I do not see the formula R1C2+R2C2. This formula is clearly specified in the SYLK file. I don't see any formula in this cell at all. Is this because Calc's SYLK support is broken or is something else going on?

Your sample file uses the R1C1 numbered-row-and-column method of referencing cells, which you probably know Calc does not support. Since Calc will save a spreadsheet sheet in its version of SYLK format, it is a fairly simple job to see what works. You need to change the cell references in the formula to the column-letter-and-row-number form. It appears that Calc also needs its name on the first line. Try this:

ID;PSCALC3
C;X1;Y1;K"Row 1"
C;X1;Y2;K"Row 2"
C;X1;Y3;K"Total"
C;X2;Y1;K11
C;X2;Y2;K22
C;X2;Y3;K0;EB1+B2

Will you need "CALC4" instead for one of your versions?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker