Hi Alex,
Using the German UI, I don't have a "Tools" menu item. I suspect it is called
"Extras" in my version. Clicking on "SQL" under THAT menu I can enter the
SQL statement alright. As mentioned before, this statement is

insert into anwesenheit
 (select 999,a2.persNr,anwesend,statAnw,abwGrund,a2.mitfahrer,bemerkung
  from anwesenheit a2
  where a2.veranstNr = 796);
(also tried without the ";")
On execution I still get back the same error!
As a long-time systems "nurd" I myself don't mind entering the statement
from a mysql-client command-line. It is just that handing the administration
of the database over to "normal" people, I cannot expect them to use a text
editor to define the query that way and then run it through the mysql client.
SQL queries should be able to cover statements as the one above. I use it
to keep a table up-to-date which shows the presence of musicians in my band
at practices every week or concerts...
phpMyAdmin isn't really an alternative either...
Thanks for your help in any case
Regards

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:08:52 +0200, Alexander Thurgood