On 09/05/2013 07:10 PM, Dave Liesse wrote:
Virgil, I'll have to disagree with your last sentence. It's quite obvious to me when there are two spaces after a sentence-ending period rather than just one, even with proportional fonts (allowing for the possibility that there's a font somewhere with a wider space than the others). I prefer the double space, myself.

Dave

I fully agree that it is "quite obvious" when two spaces are used. Having read professionally published books with only one space for over 50 years, when I find the rare document with two spaces, the extra space jumps off the page. I find it quite distracting to the flow of my reading.

I had never heard of the argument used by Jury that periods and commas inherently have extra white space (the space above the punctuation mark), which gives the illusion of a 50% wider horizontal space even when only one word space is used. I find it intriguing, and it means that when one uses two spaces, s/he actually creates an illusion of white space 2.5 times wider than a single word space. A veritable typographic Grand Canyon.

Perhaps I should have said that I *hoped* that the inherent extra white space would satisfy the two-space folks. I should have known better. :)

Virgil