On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 08:53:16 -0700
Joel Madero <jmadero....@gmail.com> dijo:

>> What have I missed?
>>
>http://superuser.com/questions/28932/how-do-i-input-greek-characters-in-ubuntu
>
>You need to install the language and then change it with ibus (should
>have a little keyboard icon in your taskbar somewhere).
>
>Google around for "xubuntu install language" but the above link gives
>some guidance

Thanks to you and James for the suggestions, but it's still not working.

Note that I am using Xubuntu, not Ubuntu. Gnome is not installed,
except for those components that Xfce uses, or perhaps required by some
application.

I found Language Support under Applications > Settings. It pops up a
little window with a list of languages. English (United States), and
under it English are both in black text. Immediately under them is what
appears to be Greek, transliterated: "Elleniká," but it's grayed out and
cannot be selected.

There is a button for Install/Remove Languages. It shows both English
and Modern Greek with a check box in them after I used the GUI to
install the Modern Greek (no Ancient or Classical Greek option, but
Modern Greek is probably close enough for now). I also logged out and
back in again, but the GUI still shows Elleniká grayed out. The input
method was set to None, so I changed it to Ibus, and again I logged out
and back in, but still no joy.