2013/10/6 Urmas <davian...@gmail.com>

> "Tom Davies":
>
> By default most versions of Gnu&Linux (lets just call them distros) have a
> set of "repos" (=repositories) which are a bit like vast warehouses of
> programs and other software.
>
> ...Because Linux is inherently broken and cannot run vanilla builds of
> software. Also repositories keep prehistoric versions of apps only,
> backporting only the security issues fixes, which have to be manually
> picked from the developer's VCS and manually patched in. So to fix a bug in
> Foo 0.8.1 you need to upgrade your entire OS to get Foo 0.10.3 instead of
> simply installing 0.8.2 or 0.11.1.

​Well, «Umas»​, as a long-time GNU/Linux user, I wish to point out that
your comment to the effect that «to fix a bug in Foo 0.8.1 you need to
upgrade your entire OS to get Foo 0.10.3 instead of simply installing 0.8.2
or 0.11.1» is utterly false ; new updates of the various applications I use
are offered to me more or less daily, and in many cases, I can automate the
process by subscribing to so-called PPAs. Of course, the above assumes that
«Foo 0.10.3» is intended as a stand in for a generic GNU/Linux application
; it, rather, it is intended to refer to a specific application which you
produced all by yourself, then, indeed, your description may very well be
true....

Henri