On 11/13/2013 04:28 PM, Steve Gruspier wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I was wondering if this was the place to request a feature. I was
> thinking the "Special Character" section is very cluttered. My feature
> request is a setting that would narrow down special characters to ones
> that are used in specific fields such as "Engineering" or "Physics".
> Something along those lines that could help people become more
> efficient using Libreoffice. I am constantly using special characters
> such as the ohms (uppercase omega) symbol for resistance, particularly
> when I use Libreoffice to generate tests.

Who gets to decide which font glyphs get removed?  Remember "Special
Characters" is really a list of all of the glyphs that the font being
used has defined.

If I use Arial Unicode, I get all of those glyphs that are actual
letters and such of non-Latin character-based languages, like Asian
languages.

How about the fonts that contain no letters but images and other glyphs,
like arrows, dingbats, wingbats, and other images that may be needed to
be used by the user.

I use many fonts that are "image only" types in my document creations,
form time to time.  There are a vast number of "specialty fonts" that
are designed to give the users images instead of letter style of glyphs.

Now the big question - how do you define a new "Special Character"
option like "these are for Engineering and these are for Physics or
Mathematics", that will "know" that this font does, or not, have the
categories of glyphs for ALL of the 200,000 and more fonts out there?

That is not something I would attempt.  My collection of 200,000+ font
files have such a variety of glyphs and placement of these glyphs, that
there is no way to do what you ask unless you require a users to only
use a preset set of fonts, and no others, in the Spacial Character" options.