On 11/18/2013 10:55 AM, john herron wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> Can Apache OO be installed alongside LO (to run at different times)?
>
> LO 3.5.7.2 [Build ID: 350m1(Build:2)] on Linux Mint 13.

Yes. But I *highly* recommend that you install AOOo 4.x in a parallel
folder instead of installing it via the standard 'dpkg -i *.deb'
command. I've found that AOOo 4.x takes over *all* mime associations for
opendoc's. It's not too much of a problem re-associating the documents
via Nautilus or Nemo, but it totally screws up other applications like
Firefox & SeaMonkey. I've even tried leaving out
openoffice-gnome-integration_4.0.1-5_amd64.deb, but it still screws up
my mime associations.

Note: earlier versions of OOo/AOOo didn't do this, but AOOo seems to
have bundled

Installing a parallel version is pretty simple, just follow the
instructions here:

<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel>

<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel#DEB_packages_2>

Then create a panel launcher pointing to the folder where you do the
install, example:
/home/<user>/AOOo/AOOoOpt/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice

You can of course move the AOOo folder to /opt to allow other users to
use it if you wish.