On 30 Nov 2013, at 4:32 pm, M. Fioretti <mfiore...@nexaima.net> wrote:

> (*) where "give it away for free" doesn't mean only "free trial
> periods". It also means keeping the software very easy to pirate so
> people learn it at home and then throw a tantrum if their company
> (that can't use pirated software) tries to migrate to something else

Hi Marco,

This is a very important observation. Whether deliberately cultivated or not,
the near universal practice of stealing, or quietly being given, a copy of an
employer's software meant that MS Office products gained near-ubiquity.  If
people writing documents on their private computers had been obliged to but a
copy of MS Office, alternatives would have been embraced much more
enthusiastically. We would not have seen, as an example, demands to provide
documents in MS Word format when providing a CV.

I believe that at some time in the future, former MS executives will reveal
that theft was a vital element in MS' strategy for their Office products during
the world colonisation phase.

Peter West

...he saw a poor widow put in two copper coins.