Hi :)
I think a few of us have found that files do become read-only without
us being really clear exactly why.  We just work-around it rather than
hunt down specific causes and those work-arounds often result in
creating a back-up of the file so it's a bonus rather than a problem.

I hadn't realised it might be worth posting a bug-report but maybe now
might encourage people to do so if they encounter the problem in the
future.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)