Hi :)
Tink when you try to solve the initial problem by doing "clear direct
formatting" you are clearing the 400 and forcing it back to the
style's size!  So it might be better to set a style, or create a new
style and set that to have font size 400 (or whatever).

As for the initial problem i don't suffer from that on LO 3.5.7 on
Ubuntu.  I thought that the Mac version was the same as the Gnu&Linux
(Ubuntu, Mint, Redhat, openSuSE, Mageia etc) one but it would make
sense if it's the BSD one instead.  Even so i thought the BSD one was
almost identical to the Gnu&Linux one.  I think it's only the Windows
one that is much different.  Sadly i can't try out more recent
versions of LO on this machine easily.  At work i was on a much more
recent version but i didn't try to click back into the document after
setting the size to 400.  Grrr, sorry about that!

It's interesting to hear that other people don't seem to be having a
problem with a directly typed-in value for font size but i'm wondering
if they clicked into the document again afterwards.  I'm wondering if
your or my machine has a wonky UserProfile or if it's something else.

So is it possible to re-use an existing style or create a new called
"HugeFont" or something and then set that font to 400?  Does that do
the trick?