Thanks everyone for the feedback.

As I learn more about spreadsheets, I thought merging all the years together
into a single sheet and filtering data so that the wordprocessor would only
see a subset of it would solve the issue... but it's not such a great idea
since some students will attend more than one year, so they'll end up having
more than one document in their name :-/

I guess it's an illustration that using a spreasheet as poorman's database
only works for basic, one-dimensional needs.