Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
> Maybe I got confused.  I thought my "10 inch" was from a DEC system.
> It was sure big.  Maybe they used a different type.  I donated it to a
> college teaching staff for demoing old tech, along with my samples of
> a punched card program, and some paper tape.

No, DEC floppies were 8" too.  Back when I was a computer tech, I used
to maintain some VAX 11/780 systems.  On them, the CPU needed to have
the microcode loaded, before it could do anything.  This was done by an
LSI-11 (microprocessor version of the PDP-11), which loaded the
microcode from a floppy and loaded it into the CPU.
> I hated CP/M and had to deal with an early college computer center
> that had IBM [brand and not clones] PC-XTs and a few of them actually
> had a graphics card and not the original 80x40 characters type of
> display.  They all were double single-sided floppy 5.25 inch.  The
> other rooms had old Apple [before Macs] and they had CP/M OS options,
> and the next room had DEC terminals to the mini-mainframes. While I
> was there a math professor brought in the "new" Apple computer called
> a Macintosh.  We also a 10 inch screen portable PC-AT or XT that
> weighted over 40 pounds.
>
> The next college center had both DEC terminals and a few dual floppy
> PCs that were connected to the DEC system via a terminal emulator
> called Kermit, if my memory is correct.  I used its upload/download
> abilities to save all my work for that college onto the floppies and
> also did some editing at home.  My first PC I had at home was a
> "clone" from a kit that cost about half of the IBM prices.
>
> Those were the days of the early home PC market and the beginning of a
> PC in every home idea.  Before them, most home computer devices were
> toys.

I only used CP/M on a Supercalc course I took.  My first computer, an
IMSAI 8080 could run CP/M, *IF* you had floppy drives, which I didn't.
I used audio cassettes.  When I was taking a Fortran course, I used
Procomm+ as a terminal emulator to connect to the school computer.  I
also had an XT clone.