Paul,

One problem is that not all mail clients explicitly support your
option d (Reply to mailing list). Option c (Reply to sender) is not
even explicitly supported by some mail clients. Pegasus Mail (which I
am using for this response) has only a single Reply button but using
it opens a Reply Options menu from which one can select any of about
six different header categories from which the addressee can be
selected. Of course the To: field can be manually edited later as
well. Mulberry Mail, which I use sometimes on both Linux and Windows,
has a similar technique for selecting the addressee(s) for replies
(and only a single button). DroidMail on my Android phone has two
"buttons" -- Reply and Reply All.

This topic has become the basis for flame wars on this list so I
generally try to avoid the subject here. However, I will once again
explain my own way of thinking about the subject.

Mailing lists are a way to share comments with a group of people who
share an interest in a particular topic. As such private replies
_should_ be the exception rather than the rule. As a result, IMO
Reply should route the message to the mailing list by default.
Starting with this post, any message that I send to this mailing list
via any of the three mail clients that I use will carry this header:

This will tell the mail clients from which replies are sent that this
is the preferred address to which a reply should be sent. This is my
way of getting around what I consider to be a wrong headed
configuration of this mailing list.

I am willing to respond to serious questions about my policy and way
of thinking but will NOT participate in a flame war..

--
Jim