On Sun, 18 May 2014 16:30:24 +0700
"Urmas" <davian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Jiergir Ogoerg":
>
> Is there any option in LibreOffice to make it generate _formatted_
> underlying XML files?
>
> The XML files by LO are consisting of one long line deliberately to
> hamper interoperation with a certain well-known competitor
> products. As a marketing decision, it is unlikely to change.

Having done my fair share of XML-based development a few years ago,
for another FOSS project, I think I can say, with a fair degree of
authority: That's utter bollocks.

If that *were* true, it wouldn't speak very highly of said
competitor's products' developers, since XML is, by its very
definition, formatted.  XML interpreters do not need carriage
returns, line feeds, tabs, spaces and what-have-you.  All those
characters do, from a software standpoint, is unnecessarily bulk up a
file.

I had to work with "unformatted" XML.  I quickly threw together a
simple bit of code, using existing (also FOSS) XML libraries, to
parse the lines and kick them out in more human-friendly-formatted
output.  It was not difficult.

I doubt I bothered to "format" my XML output.  I don't recall.

Speaking of formatting, Urmas: Unlike XML parsers, humans *do*
need proper visual formatting to quickly, easily and even
properly interpret text.  That being the case: Do you suppose it would
it be possible for you to use an email client that knows how to quote
quoted material in something resembling a traditional manner, or must
we ever *guess* what's yours and what's somebody else's comments?

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is