> LibreOffice 4.2 offers a new Start screen, and shows a preview of the last
> documents.
>
> Indeed, that is correct but I do not think it's good that everyone can
> open password protected documents without entering the password from this
> preview!
>
> This gives me a sense of insecurity and wonder whether it would not be
> better asking the password if the file is protected by a password.

​I just did the following:
- Started LibreOffice
- Created a new document, typed a few words, then saved it
password-protected
- Closed it to return to the start screen: no preview image, and when
clicked it ask for the password
- Closed libreoffice, started it again: still no preview image​, still
asking for password
I'd say that the start screen doesn't bypass the password protection
mechanism in any way: it doesn't disclose a preview of the document, nor
keep an unencrypted copy anywhere.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't get the problem here.