Hi )
Have you tried using the native Odf format instead?

The Rtf format is a Microsoft proprietary format that never seemed to
manage to achieve it's promises of interoperability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format#Criticism
Apparently it even led to MS losing a court-case!  MS then started to
abandon the format and their newer format, OOXML, started to appear.  OOXML
makes all the same promises, apparently with a similar level of lack of
success but with a bit more care taken to avoid being taken to court.

Throughout it's history Rtf has been plagued by malware issues although
lack of uptake has minimised the effects;
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2953095
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/2953095

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/more-malware-embedded-in-rtfs/
http://trojansvirusremoval.com/category/rtf/