Hello again

thanks for the effort Mark

Brian, my causticness was 'tongue in cheek' - mostly

your solution, i managed to get something working, not quite as
self-contained as your example but close
I set up a column 8 16 24 32 etc then used =INDIRECT("A"&CD9) - cd9 being
the cell reference of '8' the first value in the column, that copies down
nicely and the 8 16 24 32 etc is reusable

thanks for pointing me in the right direction

-----
IGraham

W764  LibreOffice 4.2.0.4