From: Mark Bourne <libreoffice-ml.mbou...@spamgourmet.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: disable "cntrl click to follow link"
To: users@global.libreoffice.org

4130 wrote:

 Dave,

> Thanks for the solution & the image to my cntrl>click problem.  Never
> thought it would be a "security" issue.

I think the "security" issue is that hyperlinks can be formatted to look
like normal text. Usually in a word processor you click to position the
cursor where you want to edit text. Someone could send you a document, and
when you click on that text (intending to position the cursor for editing
it) you end up opening a web page instead - which may exploit a
vulnerability in your web browser to install malware.

With some vulnerabilities, you need only to open a web page designed to
exploit it; you don't even need accept and run a download, or even realise
that anything has happened. e.g. the first item under "Mitigating Factors"
at https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS14-037 (about half way
down the page).

Even if they're not being malicious, it's somewhat frustrating to click on
a bit of text and suddenly find some web page being opened when all you
wanted to do was edit the text.

Mark.