Tom, *, of course there are alternatives among the LaTex  editors and Tex
renderings, but rather than sending Paul off on a wild goose chase, better
to ask him for the additional details we need triage his issue.

So, Paul--are you working natively only with ODF format in Writer .odt, and
Math .odf components?

Are you using a LibreOffice extension (TexMaths, or OOoLatex)  to manipulate
your formulas or just Math? If so, version?

Are you moving document round trip (export/reopen)  to OOXML?

Are you making any use,  by import, of Microsoft formula originated
materials?

Stuart

TomD wrote