Hi :)
Over the decades i'd expect to need a few fresh starts, especially if it's
in fairly frequent use.

Is it possible to create a fresh new tab and copy&paste some of the
contents across?  Perhaps as unformatted as possible to try to lose some
more hidden coding?

It might be worth posting a bug-report but you'd probably need an example
spreadsheet showing how it goes wrong.  Also it's a fairly rare use-case,
to expect a spreadsheet to last so long without major revamps.  Congrats on
keeping it going!