On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM, William Drago <wdr...@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
wrote:

> I'm trying to insert a horizontal line into my LO document. The help says:
>
> 1. Click in the document where you want to insert the line.
> 2. Choose *Insert - Horizontal Rule*
> Well, there's no Horizontal Rule under insert. So how is this done?

You're  right Bill. (At least insofar as LO 4.2 is concerned.)  Though it
works for AOO so seems this is a place where the two have diverged.

In any case to insert a horizontal rule I know of two methods...

1. Type three consecutive dashes "---" at the beginning of a line and press
enter.
2. Select "Format|Paragraph", then the Borders tab, pick a top or bottom
border, a line style width and color and click OK.

Method 1 has the disadvantage that every subsequent paragraph gets
underlined and so the format must be disabled on subsequent paragraphs.

Method 2 suffers the same disadvantage if the border is specified as a
bottom border. However if a top border is selected it is not applied to the
following paragraphs.