At 14:04 01/12/2014 +0100, Carlo Strata wrote:
I suppose (!) there is an addition to the two behaviors ("Err:511" and "#N/A", respectively from LO and Excel) described by Luuk: Excel evaluate only the part it calculate and not the entire formula or lose the internal "#N/A" in calculations. I cannot check this because I have not Excel anymore on my notebook...

In other words, if you use a formula like this:
=IF(1=1;3;LOOKUP(;"peace"))

LO check the entire formula and answer "Err:511" and Excel? Someone may check for this?

Excel needs comma separators instead of semi-colons, of course - but the equivalent formula yields 3 in Excel 2010. If you change the test to 1<>1 to force it to evaluate the LOOKUP(), it gives a #VALUE! error because "peace" is a text value, not an array. If you substitute an array here, it gives #N/A. In either of these latter cases, if you ask it to show calculation steps, it has evaluated the inequality to FALSE, identified the LOOKUP as the next thing to evaluate, and says "The next evaluation will result in an error."

Brian Barker