On 12/24/2014 10:34 AM, CVAlkan wrote:
Alexander:

I've used this facility through many versions of LO and still do under 4.4
pre-releases, so I can confirm that the Ctrl+Shift+U command definitely
works in LibreOffice under Debian and several derivatives, so it is possible
that that key combination has been trapped in LO.

I wonder if the original poster is aware of the availability and use of the
Compose key? Linux has available the ability to make some key on the keyboard
a Compose key. Then when you need a special character, like ö or ñ or µ or €
you can get it without looking up the code--most of the sequences are pretty
obvious.

It is true that there are many symbols in Unicode that the Compose sequence
can't generate, but they are not common to a speaker of English or most
European languages.

--doug