Am 30.12.2014 um 03:16 schrieb anne-ology:
>        Thank you for this information -
>             I did not realize that PDFs were not merely a strange sort of
> word document  ;-)
>            (I have not liked PDFs;
>           & have not understand the continual use of them - although some
> seem to encrypt them)

_Any_ software able to send print jobs can generate PDF by sending the
print job to a software rather than a print device.
And that very same _Any_ software is the software to edit your data and
then send another print job to the PDF generator exactly like you would
print new paper sheets after editing the original data. PDF is not a
document format. It is a virtual print out designed to look exactly like
a physical print out _regardless_ of the editing software being a word
processor, graphics program, web browser, computer aided design suite,
desktop publishing software, charting/plotting/rendering whatever
software. If it can print sheets of paper, it can also "print" PDF. You
can not edit the output of arbitrary software with your word processor.
The PDF extension which dissembles arbitrary PDF chunks into Draw
elements is a master piece. Of course, it does not fulfill the high
flying expectations of the united front of ignorants.