This time I will reply using a computer so that I can more easily respond to the list rather than directly...

On 30.12.2014 09:59, CVAlkan wrote:
This is a trivial issue, but every field in my Writer documents is displayed with a blue squiggly line beneath it just as if it were a spelling error. I've looked around in vain for a way to disable spell checking of fields (if
that is indeed what is causing the annoyance).

Grammar checker

By "field" I mean things like page numbers, cross-references and such. Cross-references to "reference" rather than "page number" seem to be a special case, though, as sometimes they only have the squiggly line in footnotes, but sometimes it appears in both body text as well as footnotes.

I did a quick check on a computer using the latest version of LO and the grammar checker did not seem to complain about things that I created as a test and did not flag numbers

The Tools|Options sections of Writer only seem to permit changing (or
eliminating) the normal background color used to mark the fields, and I was
unable to locate anything in the spell check stuff to ignore fields.

This is obviously a pretty trivial thing, but if anyone knows why this happens or if there is anything I can do to "clean up the display" I would
appreciate it.

I am clueless about this (sadly). try making some changes at Tools | Options | Language Settings and from there you can look at "Writing Aids" and "English sentence checking".

The version I just installed on a Windows box included "Lightproof grammar checker".

Thanks, and have a great New Year.

Happy new year to you as well.

Andrew Pitonyak