> Symphony, IBM's OOo-like offering (now abandoned) also had a tabbed
> document management interface more akin to browser tabs.

​For what it's worth, some Window Manager do have this feature. It's easily
accessible in KDE, and I suppose similar things are available with other
stuff​ like Unity (which is, if I recall correctly, the "default" desktop
on Ubuntu).
Something like this: https://i.imgur.com/AwnykY7.png (look at the title
bar). Of course it is very different from having the feature integrated
within LO, but it can still be useful.

An interesting (?) feature beside split view could be synchronized
scrolling, but that does not sound like a quick thing to do.