Thanks Alex

But I fear this is getting nowhere.

As per your suggestion I built a new ODB file and it showed the same problem.
i have run the MySQLcheck program and it confirms the DB is OK.

Maybe it is a "funny" in Base itself??? And it may come right with the next release??

In itself the problem does not make my DB unusable and I must press on with it so I guess the best is to just put the RecordID number in by hand and keep a paper record of the last used number.

Seems ridicules but I guess it's what we all call a "Workround".

I really do appreciate your help and assistance nonetheless.

With best wishes

IanW
Pretoria RSA