On 2015/04/25 2:10, M Henri Day wrote:

    Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a
    nightmare!!!),
    8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
    and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
    understanding.

    So, I would LOVE to believe, that there cannot be any sort of
    "insufficient power".

    IS there a trick to convince the display to work smoothly???
    Thank you.
    Thomas

​Thomas, this is a tad off-topic, but since you mentioned that «Windows 8.1​ ​(= a nightmare !!!)»​, I thought I'd suggest two simple steps to tame the beast :

 1. Install Classic Shell from *classicshell.net
    <http://classicshell.net>* (elect the Windows 7 interface and
    change the start button), and
 2. Deactivate the superfluous Lockscreen by following the steps found
    here :

*_http://www.howtogeek.com/134620/how-to-disable-the-lock-screen-on-windows-8-without-using-group-policy_*/*_/_*/

While not, alas, quite as good as dumping Windows altogether and installing, e g, Linux Mint 17.1 instead, it should suffice to turn those nightmares into relatively sweet dreams. I know it has for many retirees here in Stockholm whom we help with computer problems....

Henri/**/
Thank you!
Actually, I am trying already for more than 7 years to "get friendly" with Linux and by now can install the OS.
Every further step results in trouble ...