Hi :)
I assume that both of the images of Virtualbox use the same format?  Both
Jpgs?

The difference in quality is very clear! While the title-bar, menu-bar and
icon-bars look very much the same in both examples the image in the Writer
document looks like it's been "indexed" or warped in some other way.

I have not noticed this happening with my images in Writer or Draw and i
have no idea why it would be happening to you.  I'm tempted to try to open
some of my old documents to have a look but they are a bit out of reach at
the moment. :(

I hope someone else is able to give a good answer on how to solve this.