Tim,

After some playing around, and some googling, all is resolved.  To close
the Template manager, click on the title bar, then right click for the
close menu.  Still, there is no excuse for not having a Close button.

The template location is .config/libreoffice/4/user/template.  This
assumes you have created a template.  Else, the template folder will not
exist.

Dave,

--
  dave boland