Hi :)
That is weird.  GMane is meant to work well with this mailing list.

In GMail Anne-ology's replies do appear to be part of the same
conversation/thread.  Gmail doesn't break it out into a new thread.  So
Gmail must be using the subject-line then surely?

Should we be posting a bug-report about this mailing list or about GMane?