On 2015-11-25 17:26, Edwar Cifuentes wrote:
Hi.

When using functions like MAX on a 2d range how can I get the cell's address/reference returned instead of the result value?

e.g. if I have this table starting at A1...
1    2    3
4    5    6

How can I get this:
1    2    3
4    5    6
C2

Instead of this:
1    2    3
4    5    6
6

I know I could something containing MATCH if it were just a single row or column but here I have a table spanning several rows and columns and there seems to be no equivalent of MATCH for these situations.

Thank you

Edwar:

The following will find the address of the Max value. If there are duplicate values it shows the last location.

=ADDRESS(MAX((A1:C2=MAX(A1:C2))*ROW(A1:C2)),MAX((A1:C2 = MAX(A1:C2))*COLUMN(A1:C2)),4)

This is an array function and you need to use Ctrl-Shift-Enter instead of Enter.

Hope this works for you,

TomW