To be honest, I believe that a proper use of Writer could avoid this
"problem".

What I mean is that probably it could be enough to delete word by word,
using CTRL key together with BackSpace or Delete key. In this way it should
take one step of undo per each word, instead of a single character.

Also consider selecting and THEN delete. For example you could use Shift
with Home and End keys or with CTRL and arrows keys...

Word processing IS NOT exactly like using a typewriter ;)