I too have that book on the reading list, it's been there for too long now..

As I show in the other thread, the image problem does not seem to be
(solely) related to "large" documents as I could reproduce one kind of
error in a one-page document.

Otherwise I guess a document can be as large as it need to be and still be
manageable. There is for example a difference in need between a book
written from top to bottom and a large technical specification which is
updated here and there and that contains internal references back and
forth. It was quite some time since I evaluated the master document
function, maybe it has evolved now to handle navigation and references
better than in the past?